This post sharing my chicken taco wraps recipe was sponsored by Sargento as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
It’s been hot and humid in Chicago, which means I no longer turn on my oven and avoid my stove whenever possible. I wish that meant I didn’t have to cook and my family would magically not be hungry, but life doesn’t work that way. Rather than relying on peanut butter and jelly or other staples, I’ve had some fun coming up with cold sandwiches outside the ordinary that provide a kick of flavor and the satisfaction I miss when I just find “something” to eat.
While Taco Tuesday is totally a thing, I enjoy those flavors all week long when I can. It didn’t take much thought for me to transform them into chicken taco wraps with delicious lime marinated chicken, tomato, onions, lettuce, and of course Sargento® Slices Smokehouse Cheddar™ for a little extra flavor.
In keeping with my summer theme, I marinate and grill a couple chicken breasts (or thighs, yum!), let them cool, and slice them. They stay in the fridge until someone cries hungry, when I can quickly create delicious chicken taco wraps. Just like when we make traditional tacos, my family can personalize this any way they choose. My son leaves off the onion and tomato, while my daughter begs me to add avocado. They both drizzle extra lime juice over the top, and I like it that way, too.
The Sargento Slices in the wrap mean I don’t have to worry about shreds falling out as I take a bite. Plus, I always like slices better in a cold sandwich anyway, don’t you? Sargento is 100% Real, Natural Cheese, and the taste comes through in every bite. I want my cheese to taste as good as the rest of my sandwich!
Fortunately, you can find Sargento Slices at Meijer easily. They had plenty of options that would fit for all sorts of cold sandwiches from Ultra Thin® Provolone to Colby Pepper Jack to Swiss and more. I picked up Sangento Slices in Sharp Cheddar and Smokehouse Cheddar™ for my chicken taco wraps, but choices are hard! Meijer makes it easier though with an mperks offer for $1 off 2 Sargento® Slices product now through July 15. Just search “Sargento” for the coupon offer if you’re an mperks Member.
As easy as these sandwiches are to create from ingredients I prep and leave in the fridge, this turned into my dinner of choice when we head to the pool for an all day adventure with friends. I pack each ingredient into a separate container in my cooler. When we get hungry for dinner and don’t want to leave the pool, I simply pull out the ingredients and let everyone create and enjoy chicken taco wraps. I always bring some fruit to serve, as well, and this gives us the energy to stay until the pool officially closes. This is how we cool off on those hot and humid Chicago summer days!
How to Make Your Chicken Taco Wraps
I love that I can prep the majority of the wrap in advance for last minute summer lunches and dinners. This chicken gains so much flavor when you marinate it for a couple hours before you grill. Add the lime juice, sugar, paprika, cumin, chili powder, minced garlic, and oil to a container where you’ll marinate your chicken. Add the chicken, seal, and shake to coat. Place in the fridge and flip it after an hour. This ensures the marinade gets into all the chicken.
After it marinates for one to three hours, heat your grill. Grill the chicken 5-7 minutes per side until juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. Remove from your grill and let rest. Once cooled to room temperature, slice thinly on the bias. This helps your chicken retain its juiciness. Make chicken taco wraps now or save the for later in your fridge in a sealed container for up to two days. There’s no need to reheat the chicken for the wraps.
Dice your onion and slice your tomato tomato. Remove lettuce leaves from the head, but leave them whole. Lay your wraps out. I use fresh pita or a tortilla wrap. The spinach adds even more fun color to your chicken taco wrap, if you want!
Layer the 100% Real, Natural Cheese Sargento Cheese Slices first, then top with lettuce. Add the cold sliced chicken then tomato and onion. Sprinkle with extra lime juice, if you choose, then roll like a burrito. Slice in half.
Alternatively, slice the chicken thinly and cover the entire wrap in the toppings and roll into a tight log. Slice off the ends, then slice into inch thick sections. Thread onto a skewer for a fun way to serve your chicken taco wraps!
Have you ever made chicken taco wraps? What’s your favorite cold sandwich?
- 1/2 c lime juice
- 1/4 t smoked paprika
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1/4 t chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 c oil
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 4 tortillas
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 leaves Romaine
- 1/4 c onion, diced
- 1 tomato, sliced thin
- Add lime juice, sugar, paprika, cumin, chili powder, minced garlic, and oil to a container large enough to hold the chicken. Be sure it seals tightly, too.
- Pound your chicken until a half inch thick to make for easier slicing later (optional). Add chicken to marinade, seal, and shake to coat. Place in the fridge and flip it after an hour.
- After it marinates for one to three hours, heat grill and brush with oil. Grill the chicken 5-7 minutes per side until juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Remove from grill and let rest. Once cooled to room temperature, slice thinly on the bias.
- Dice your onion and slice tomato thinly. Remove lettuce leaves from the head, but leave them whole.
- Layer the cheese slices on a tortilla, then top with lettuce. Add the cold sliced chicken then tomato and onion. Sprinkle with extra lime juice, if you choose, then roll like a burrito. Slice in half. Serve immediately.
- You can make the chicken up to two days in advance. Cool to room temperature then slice and place in a tightly sealed container in the fridge until you're ready to make your wraps.
- Alternatively, if you slice the chicken very thinly, you can cover the entire wrap in the toppings and roll into a tight log. Slice of the ends, then slice into inch thick sections and thread onto a skewer for a fun way to serve your chicken taco wraps!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 wrap
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 495 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 110mg Sodium: 421mg Carbohydrates: 35g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 3g Protein: 44g